Monday, March 4, 2013

Let's Pretend...


How many times a day do you hear that in your home?  I have lost count. 
Lil One: Hey let’s pretend we are Mommy and Daddy and we have a baby.
Lil Two: Yay! Oh and let’s pretend we are going to the park with our bikes.
Lil One:  Oh yay! Let’s pretend we are…
You get the picture.  If you are a parent I am sure you hear it at your house too…more than once. 
But let’s pretend that we actually sat down as parents and listened to what they were saying in those conversations.  Let’s pretend they were a window into who “we” are.  Yes, even in their little child forms. 
Let’s pretend that they actually had something to teach us….about us.
Think about it.
Have you ever spent the time to listen to your children play?  I am talking about the good innocent play moments when they don’t even know you are listening or watching.  If you haven’t, you should.  If you would just pretend that nothing else is as important as that moment….you will remember that moment when you need it most.
The Ref household has been going through some tough times.  I have been called to school more times than I care to mention.  I am crushed that “my kid” is a trouble to others.  I don’t understand it.  It hurts me.  It affects us all.  The other child is embarrassed that a sibling is a trouble maker.  The little one wants to mimic it all.  DaddyCool and I are out of tricks to get to the root issue.  We have begun parent counseling to support us through and hopefully dodge my child from being asked to leave this school.
Then this morning…I just stopped and listened.
Children playing….
I stopped and heard
“Let’s pretend that we are just sitting and cuddling our babies because we missed them today”
Response was
“Ya…..I miss Mommy and Daddy when I am at school”
Cuddle your babies today.  Everyday
Will this change all my issues? No! 
It will however help remind my children that I miss them just as much and we are in this together.
Life isn’t always unicorns and rainbows….but when you are hugging those babies…you can just pretend it is…a moment or two won’t hurt.  Promise.
 Unicorns and Rainbows Invitation

4 comments:

  1. Thinking about you today my friend. Parenthood is an ass kicker. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful advice for sure! I think it will cure a number of ills!! Best of luck...will be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I sure could use some time to sit and listen to the kids play. I know what it's like to have issues with your student...good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's always good advice anyday. I hope this piece will pass soon. Thinking of you and your family and know that this too shall pass :)

    ReplyDelete